|This article is a stub. You can help Nonbinary.org by expanding it|
Transgender is an umbrella term covering all gender identities or expressions that transgress or transcend society’s rules and concepts of gender. To be trans usually means to identify as a gender other than the gender one was assigned at birth. The category of transgender includes people who have the binary gender identities of female (transgender women) or male (transgender men), and is often framed solely in binary terms. The transgender umbrella does include people with nonbinary gender identities, but not all non-binary people refer to themselves as transgender.
- TRANScending Identities: A Bibliography of Resources on Transgender and Intersex Topics
- trans* wiki A wiki on transgender topics
- Girshick, Lori B. Transgender Voices: Beyond Women and Men. Hanover: University Press of New England, 2008. Print.
- Stryker, Susan. Transgender History. Berkeley, CA: Seal Press, 2008. Print.
- Stryker, Susan, and Stephen Whittle. The Transgender Studies Reader. New York: Routledge, 2006. Print.