I am afraid to "come out" to anyone but my friends

Discussions related to nonbinary experiences, identity and expression. 'On topic' discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

I am afraid to "come out" to anyone but my friends

Postby Otvm » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:35 pm

The title explains it. I am non-binary with my own unique gender and I am too young to risk rejection. My family barely understands transgender people and probably does not know about non-binary identities. Should I even come out?

Edit: It is only one friend, I think I will tell my other friend soon.
Last edited by Otvm on Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My current position:
My nonbinary/transgenderness has been denied as a phase. My parents want to make me cisgender.
Otvm

Re: I am afraid to "come out" to anyone but my friends

Postby Otvm » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:40 am

I also hate my physical sex.
My current position:
My nonbinary/transgenderness has been denied as a phase. My parents want to make me cisgender.
Otvm

Postby justHJ » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:26 am

Maybe start by laying the groundwork with your family and trying to gauge their feelings on the issue. You could try discussing the differences between sex and gender, the way gender is interpreted differently in different places (so is more of a social thing than a physical thing) and the fact that some cultures have a long history of recognising more than two gender identities.

If those concepts really don't seem to wash well with your family then it might be safer to wait a while before coming out but if they seem more open to the ideas then if/when you do decide to come out it'll hopefully be a bit easier for them to understand.

Good luck, stay strong.
justHJ

Postby Otvm » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:04 pm

justHJ wrote:Maybe start by laying the groundwork with your family and trying to gauge their feelings on the issue. You could try discussing the differences between sex and gender, the way gender is interpreted differently in different places (so is more of a social thing than a physical thing) and the fact that some cultures have a long history of recognising more than two gender identities.

If those concepts really don't seem to wash well with your family then it might be safer to wait a while before coming out but if they seem more open to the ideas then if/when you do decide to come out it'll hopefully be a bit easier for them to understand.

Good luck, stay strong.

Note: I have decided to come out as transgender first because binary things are easy to understand for cisgender people.
Note: I feel like I will explode! I am almost crying at some times because people are treating me like my assigned gender, even if they know I hate it. I feel like I will disintegrate if I do not come out.

I took out a book about a transgender child, but my parent silently forbid it by making me feel horrible about reading it. I did tell my parents that I do not like my birth gender, but they said that I will be my birth gender. My parents are trying to make me think it is a phase (I keep accidentally typing "thing"!) and that I am nothing more or less than my birth gender. I have been giving hints that I dislike what I am, but I have not told them how long I felt like this before. I remember wishing I was the other sex/gender (I did not know the difference at that time!) and feeling like I am worthless. Should I tell them?
My current position:
Otvm

Return to General Nonbinary Discussions