Understanding what i am

Discussions related to nonbinary experiences, identity and expression. 'On topic' discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Understanding what i am

Postby MusicalPotato » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:37 pm

Hello,
Im a struggling non-binary after years of not understanding what i was i had given up but when a friend told me about non-binarys it felt right so im here to ask for help in further understanding what it means to be non-binary and some of the challenges i might face through my life since im only 16 i would appreciate all help i can get and I'd like to make some friends :)
MusicalPotato

Re: Understanding what i am

Postby Otvm » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:22 pm

I have a suggestion: (Warning: I am not an expert)
If someone asks you for your gender, you could call it an irrelevant question.
If a doctor asks you, I do not know what to say.
My current position:
My nonbinary/transgenderness has been denied as a phase. My parents want to make me cisgender.
Otvm

Re: Understanding what i am

Postby fornorm » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:24 am

Otvm wrote:I have a suggestion: (Warning: I am not an expert)
If someone asks you for your gender, you could call it an irrelevant question.
If a doctor asks you, I do not know what to say.

It depends why the doctor is asking. If (s)he is filling in a form which says something like " Gender: Male/Female" you could point out to the doctor that whoever wrote that form didn't know the meaning of the word "gender" and they were actually asking about your sex.

If the doctor is really enquiring about your gender (not your sex) it suggests that (s)he already has some idea that you may not be cis-gendered and is trying to help you. In that case you tell the complete truth so that the doctor can get you the support you need.

Mentioning how you feel about your gender to your doctor, even if the doctor doesn't ask first, would be a good way to get some practical help. Don't wait until you are suffering from stress.
fornorm

Return to General Nonbinary Discussions