Nonbinary Survey (Closed)

Promote relevant external campaigns, resources, surveys and action alerts.

Nonbinary Survey (Closed)

Postby Azurelus » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:33 am

Hello! :D

Survey link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7GKQ6WC

As someone who is non-binary, for my Personal Interest Project (PIP) for the subject Society & Culture, I wanted to research how the gender-binary (male/female) affects non-binary individuals, especially in regards to the roles, expectations, beliefs it sets and how it affects us as people who aren't within the binary. Especially since we're assumed to be one or the other, and there are many people who don't know about, or are supportive of non-binary genders.
I also want to research how technology has helped people in finding their identities, and how non-binary genders have gained more recognition over time. For me, if it wasn't for the internet, I would have never known about non-binary genders and I don't know where I'd be if I didn't. So I'm really glad resources exist. :)

All answers are anonymous. If you have any questions regarding my survey, please don't be afraid to message me!
Thank you so much for your time!
---------
Edit: Survey is now closed, thank you so much to everyone who participated! Your responses mean so much to me, I will do my best to write a really good PIP! :D
Last edited by Azurelus on Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Azurelus

Re: Non-Binary Survey - Requesting Responses!

Postby fornorm » Wed May 11, 2016 7:28 pm

Azurelus wrote:Hello! :D
Survey link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7GKQ6WC

The Ethnicity question does not allow a non-binary answer. This is a very bad oversight for a questionaire specifically designed for non-binary people.
The question about bullying does not take account of changes during a person's lifetime.
fornorm

Postby Azurelus » Wed May 11, 2016 11:40 pm

fornorm wrote:The Ethnicity question does not allow a non-binary answer. This is a very bad oversight for a questionaire specifically designed for non-binary people.
The question about bullying does not take account of changes during a person's lifetime.

Would you mind explaining what you mean by the ethnicity question not allowing a non-binary answer? I made the question an open question so that the respondent would be able to answer without a restriction, compared to, for example, a multiple choice question. There are also many ethnicities so I'm not really sure what would you mean by a non-binary answer, since ethnicities aren't a binary?
You make a very good point in regards to the bullying question, I realised when I was getting responses that the question was flawed as it failed to take into account many factors such as whether a person was 'out' or not, their individual circumstances/environments, and, as you said, how it changed over that person's lifetime.
Thank you for your feedback.
Azurelus

Postby fornorm » Mon May 16, 2016 10:17 pm

Azurelus wrote:Would you mind explaining what you mean by the ethnicity question not allowing a non-binary answer?

Sorry, I didn't phrase my comment very well. My intention was to leave the box blank, but the form would not allow this and treated it as an error.

Off Topic
The whole question of ethnicity is fraught with difficulty. Two reasons particularly give cause for concern:
1) The ancestors of most people could include many races if you look back a few generations and not all families have access to complete records, so a glib one or two-word answer is meaningless and could be misleading, depending on why the question was asked.
2) In the U.K. it is illegal to discriminate on grounds of race or ethnicity; by answering a question like that, I could be assisting in an illegal act of discrimination. If there is no intention to use the results to discriminate between races, then there is no need for the question at all.
fornorm

Re: Nonbinary Survey - Requesting Responses!

Postby Azurelus » Fri May 27, 2016 4:48 am

fornorm wrote:The whole question of ethnicity is fraught with difficulty. Two reasons particularly give cause for concern:
1) The ancestors of most people could include many races if you look back a few generations and not all families have access to complete records, so a glib one or two-word answer is meaningless and could be misleading, depending on why the question was asked.
2) In the U.K. it is illegal to discriminate on grounds of race or ethnicity; by answering a question like that, I could be assisting in an illegal act of discrimination. If there is no intention to use the results to discriminate between races, then there is no need for the question at all.

1. I understand what you mean, but the question was just ethnicity in general, so for example, what their cultural background is, so I have a better understanding of the respondent's background, since depending on your ethnicity, you would have different experiences. I used 'ethnicity' because I learned that 'race' is a social construct and is a broad term, so it was better to use 'ethnicity' instead.

2. The reason why I asked that question was to gather more general information about the respondent (hence why I asked for age), since everyone has different experiences and a person's ethnicity or cultural background would have a large impact on their lives. I didn't put the question in to discriminate, but to show that nonbinary people are of many different backgrounds. I apologise that it came across that way.
Azurelus

Return to Signal Boosting