Supporting "Mx"

Discussions related to nonbinary experiences, identity and expression. 'On topic' discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Supporting "Mx"

Postby Amiko » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:25 pm

I'm trying Mx out in one social situation to see how I feel about it.
I actually want a title - if most other people get one then I feel like I'm second class if I have to choose existing titles or nothing. However, I know that this is personal ans different for everyone.
Maybe this is why an ambiguity to something like Mx is the very advantage that it has... By having a number of generally accepted interpretations, the user can identify with an aspect of Mx that suits them.
For example, some hear Mx and think of Mix... which might suit their experience.
Others might hear Mx and see the x as a marker for a non binary or agender or fluid experience and so on.
Mix and Mixture could become ways to express a demigirl or demiboy experience ?
(Apologies if I'm getting the terms wrong... I'm new to all this...)
For me, I hear Mx as a slightly altered 'Miss', which given my personal identity, fits well currently.
The fact that Mx has multiple interpretations could reflect the very nature of non binary ... a spectrum of interpretations for a spectrum of gender experiences . I think this gives Mx something special - my 'Mx' title will not be the same as your 'Mx' title.
To me, it's important to feel validated and so the way I hear Mx used to refer to me is very affirming, despite the fact that someone else using the term might hear something completely different when it is spoken to them.

Gah! I'm so new that I'm panicking in case I wade in and upset people... Hope I haven't!
Amiko

Postby Cassian » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:41 pm

That's interesting, I'd never thought of it like that. I mean, the x is a wildcard character, which means all interpretations are possible and valid - my problem is when people say "this is what it means, full stop." So yeah, if Mx means mixture for you (general you, not specific you, Amiko!), great - but it doesn't for me, and you can't say your interpretation is true for everyone. You know?
Cassian

Postby Amiko » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:47 pm

In this respect, Mx perhaps reflects the experience of personal, individual gender identity that nonbinary people share, and is therefore unifying in its ambiguity ?! So great that the various pronunciations and feelings that it conjours up are so personal. When I say Mx to refer to me, it seems femme but when my partner hears it, she thinks of the gender nonconformity that an X brings. Weirdly wonderful and so very wobbly wobbly!
But hey... what works for me might only work for me. It seems counter to a notion of a spectrum of experience to say 'this is the only interpretation of what it means'.
Amiko

Postby Amiko » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:19 am

I'm going too fast for myself... worrying about terminology and not looking to my own very new journey into this, so please feel free to put my thoughts to one side. It's all wonderful stuff and thankyou all for wrestling with these issues. I don't think I'm in the right place... I'm not ready. You are all brilliant for working on a better world... I'll most likely be back when I've done some work on a better 'me'!
xxx Drew
Amiko

Postby Cassian » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:05 pm

I do like wibbly wobbly with language! Freedom of expression and interpretation is awesome. :) And we are indeed many and varied.

I'll not put your thoughts to one side because they're still valid and interesting, even if you do feel like you've not found your feet yet. And you being here footless is also fine and excellent, and I welcome your ponderings. But I do understand that sometimes time is needed, so yes. I hope to see you back here soon, anyway. :)
Cassian

Previous

Return to General Nonbinary Discussions