Supporting "Mx"

Discussions related to nonbinary experiences, identity and expression. 'On topic' discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Supporting "Mx"

Postby sparrowsion » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:01 pm

"Mx" is my third choice of title, behind none and "Msc". I'm not particularly fond of it, but I recognise that it's developing traction as a gender/qualification-neutral title. What I'm wondering about is those situations I'm starting to encounter where "Mx" is presented as an option alongside "other" or "none". (I've yet to be given the option of "Mx" without those alternatives, but I know places where it happens.) If it's nothing terribly important, do I stick with my preferences or show support for the inclusion of "Mx" by using it?
sparrowsion

Re: Supporting "Mx"

Postby Cassian » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:42 pm

I think you should (this is such a cheesy phrase) be true to yourself. If you want to show support you could (if there is space on the form) add a note somehow saying "I like that you've got Mx on there, even though I don't use it myself" or similar. But the whole point of Mx is to provide a title for people who're not covered by the existing options; it seems to me counter-intuitive for you to choose a title that isn't *you* in order to support it.
Cassian

Postby epicene » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:34 pm

I agree with Cassian. Mx wasn't my first choice, I just found not having a title unworkable in that I'd be assigned one all the time anyway. I use Mx as a compromise, but I think we should all use whatever we are most comfortable with. I'd love to have the choice of any of those three options become more commonplace, and I'm sure it would make many people's lives easier.
Follow your dreams, or die trying.
epicene

Postby cellophaan » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:10 am

I don't think I could support anything starting with the letter "M", since it seems like its trying too hard to fit in. Maybe a whole new title word like my "Shem-za" idea (pronouns based on the word "Shem"). But then, one could argue the same for that too; but maybe it would get more support from the binaries that way. Who knows. Any comments?
Anyone have any thoughts on how to implement such words? Seems like the literary world would need consensus or a government mandate maybe? Ha!
cellophaan

Postby Jonathan » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:18 am

I always rather liked "comrade" as a title.
Jonathan

Postby sparrowsion » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:16 pm

cellophaan wrote:I don't think I could support anything starting with the letter "M", since it seems like its trying too hard to fit in.

I think each individual is going to have a different experience of how much they want to "fit in", and what that really means. (See the decades of debate on whether binary trans people "should" always be aiming to pass.) Personally, I want to find the balance between not standing out and being true to myself, and for that reason using no title (which is something that many people of both binary genders I know also strive for) or a "M" title which doesn't look unusual (which is why I'm not entirely happy with "Mx") are my preferences. If I have to have a title, I want it to say "I'm different, but I'm not weird".

For non-"M" titles, I think Christie Elan-Cane's "Per" is by far the best (although I'm not so fond of extending it to pronouns).
sparrowsion

Postby moonmoth » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:34 am

Jonathan wrote:If I have to have a title, I want it to say "I'm different, but I'm not weird".

Exactly what I'm after. Not just the title, either -- this describes where I'm looking to go with my presentation.

The toughest part is that no matter what anyone decides to do, there's always someone who's going to think it's weird. I suspect I'm just going to have to be satisfied with not too many people thinking I'm not too weird.
moonmoth

Postby Jonathan » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:22 pm

^^^ That quote was from sparrowsion, not me ;)

Also:
sparrowsion wrote:For non-"M" titles, I think Christie Elan-Cane's "Per" is by far the best

Actually, it's Marge Piercy's "per" (from "Woman on the Edge of Time")

[sorry, making corrections is my job; I just can't help myself :oops:]
Jonathan

Re:

Postby quarridors » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:35 pm

Jonathan wrote:^^^ That quote was from sparrowsion, not me ;)

Also:
sparrowsion wrote:For non-"M" titles, I think Christie Elan-Cane's "Per" is by far the best

Actually, it's Marge Piercy's "per" (from "Woman on the Edge of Time")

[sorry, making corrections is my job; I just can't help myself :oops:]

Actually it's Christie Elan-Cane's 'Pr' title which doesn't feature in Woman on the Edge of Time, but is a logical extension of Marge Piercy's invented 'per' pronouns from that book, which Christie has been using for perself for many years.

Here's an example of the Press Complaints Commission recognising 'Pr' for Christie Elan-Cane in 2001:

http://www.pcc.org.uk/news/index.html?article=Mjc0Ng==
http://www.pcc.org.uk/case/resolved.html
http://presscomplaints.org/case/3431/
quarridors
Site Admin

Postby yrrw » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:07 am

I use Mx as my title at work (this is Australia) and am surprised at the positive response, generally. Of course no-one really tries to pronounce it (and I don't like it as a spoken word - neither Mix, nor Mixter) but as something to write on forms I can live with it. I'll soon be transitioning (hah!) to Dr, a more satisfying gender-neutral title, but not one that is available easily, I know.
I was very disturbed, though, to come across a new (to me) phenomenon on online forms where the option of Dr was divided into... Dr (male), Dr (female). WTF? I didn't put in years of work to be shoved back into a binary gendered box (okay, it wasn't the only reason to do the study, but at times it kept me motivated). This was on Tiger Airlines' online system. Has anyone come across this elsewhere?
Another question... A few feminist colleagues have asked whether they, as cisgender females, could use 'Mx'. I've always had a 'the more, the merrier attitude', but YMMV. I don't think I want to police others' choice of pronouns or titles, myself.
Opinions welcome!
yrrw

Next

Return to General Nonbinary Discussions